Wednesday, September 16, 2015

"Don't Answer Me"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


I listened to Ammonia Avenue this morning, and I tried to pick out some parts that would be pretty easy to figure out.  I started with the glockenspiel part of "Don't Answer Me" (at least I think it's glockenspiel; the credits on their website don't list glockenspiel specifically, but there is just general "percussion").  I figured out only the parts during the choruses (although I'm not too confident in the last two phrases).

The chords came pretty easily too, although I'm unsure of one in the later part of the chorus.

My recording is just the first minute and a half or so because it would have been boring otherwise, since I know only the chords and a short glockenspiel part.

I found it interesting that the verses start with a C major to A minor modulation, which is the difference of only one note (C, E, G to C, E, A) and the choruses do the same thing, albeit with C major to E minor (C, E, G to B, E, G).